Monday, August 23, 2010

Read/Listen/Watch/Rent

READ: Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

What a book. The first Krakauer book I read was Into the Wild (the story of Alexander Supertramp, which the Emile Hirsch movie was based on.) and I really liked it. I figured that's what this was going to be. The true story of somebody else's adventure. Probably sad, but good in the end. I had no idea that it was Krakauer's own story. His tale of climbing Everest, researching a story, and the storm that came and killed 9 of his fellow climbers. What a book, it breaks your heart but keeps you on path to get to the summit.

LISTEN: David Dondero

David Dondero has one hell of a voice. Conor Oberst claims that he was most directly influenced by Dondero, and now Dondero is on Oberst's Team Love record label. His balads seem standard, but every song has a life in it that you don't find often. He reminds me of Shawn Mullins in that I can listen to his songs and get lost, like each 3 minute tune is a movie. I am really excited to find that he is coming to DSM on September 28th, so I can hopefully get to see him. Enjoy!


WATCH: Friday Night Lights

I had heard for a few years that Friday Night Lights was a really great show, and worth watching. Well, I never had the time until lately and I found that everyone was right. I watched the first 3 seasons over a week and a half. It, much like a BBC show, has 13-15 episode seasons instead of the standard american 24, which really keeps a "quality not quanity" aspect to each episode. Also, with the documentary feel of the show, it makes me feel like it is all real. I feel that these people do exist. It is a little bulky on characters (Lila is hot, but useless. Same for the wife's sister in season 2, useless), but characters like Landry and Street steal every scene. I cannot wait to see the current season, with how things shook up at Dillion High. I hope the lights don't go out on this show. (You see what I did there?)


RENT: The Ten

If you have a movie that is written by The State, how could it be bad? The same folks who brought us The State, Stella, Wet Hot American Summer, and Role Models, also delivered this gem back in 2006. With an amazing cast (Paul Rudd, Famke Jansen, Adam Brody, Winona Ryder, Ken Marino, Oliver Platt, Rob Corddry and Gretchen Mol) this tells 10 loosely connected stories that detail the 10 commandments. My favorite part? The Lying Rhino, voiced by non-other than Coach McGirk himself, H.Jon Benjamin. The Ten Fever, catch it!

No comments:

Post a Comment