Monday, August 2, 2010

Read/Listen/Watch/Rent

READ: Love and Marriage by Bill Cosby
I bought this book a year ago at the Boone Goodwill. Now that I am married, I decieded to read it. Now I love Bill Cosby asmuch as the next guy. The Cosby Show was a pivotal part of my childhood, and I think his "Himself" standup is hilarious. Also, this. So, I thought his book would give me some great life lessons. So far, it has let me down. It's funny, cute and makes me feel good. However, Bill really hates the youth. Especially the youth of 1988 (the year the book came out) which is weird.

LISTEN: Titus Andronicus
So, I just heard about these guys and fuck, do they rock. Let's do some rock math:


Conor Oberst's Voice
+


Craig Finn's lyrics
+

The indie-arena power of The Gaslight Anthem
x

This guy
=


Enjoy!

WATCH: Community

So I was a little late to the table when it came to Community, but let me tell ya, I am loving it. Joel McHale, Donald Glover and Danny Pudi are hilarious. Gillian Jacobs and Alison Brie are gorgeous and funny, which is hard to get (oh Sarah Chalk, how I miss you). Then throw in newcomer Yvette Brown and oldcomer Chevy Chase, and shit, we got us a show. The first few episodes were spotty, but through out the first season, Community become more important for me "not to miss" than 30 Rock. I can't wait for season 2, and hope it gets more. I've learned to be ok with television shows being canceled, because tv is getting better. Finally.



RENT: Mystery Team

Don't let the title fool you, this is no sequel to Mystery Men. No, this is funny. Donald Glover (hey, I talked about him above) and his crew in Derrick Comedy, makers of Bro-Rape, bring you this tale of a junior detective agency who accidentally grew up. Now, as 18 year olds, they have to start dealing with real shit, all while still solving crimes. With Aubrey Plaza (from Parks and Rec.) and Ellie Kemper (from The Office, hey a lotta NBC folks round this movie) in the cast, you can imagine the hi-jinks. Rent it. Also, go see Inception.


No comments:

Post a Comment