Monday, January 31, 2011

The 50 States of Beer - South Carolina

South Carolina

Thomas Creek Brewery - Greenville, SC

Best Beer:

Stillwater Vanilla Cream Ale

The vanilla cream ale isn't your typical style of beer. As a matter of fact, this is only the third type of Vanilla Cream Ale I've had. The first, was the Raccoon River Brewery right here in Des Moines, and the second was my home brew "2 Scoops Vanilla Cream Ale". The Thomas Creek isn't as good as Raccoon River's, but it was slightly better then mine.

I spent the weekend in Iowa City with Nick, JJ and the girls and we got beers at this little store that really wanted to be a Walgreens. I grabbed the Thomas Creek because I'd never heard of it before, and when I saw they had the vanilla, I was stoked. We also got a 6 pack of the O'Fallons Hemp Hop Rye which was good. (Fun Fact: my taste for hops is back finally!!)

The Stillwater Vanilla Cream Ale tastes great. I love the idea of the vanilla ales, because it's such a plain beer and they really don't do much to make it stand out. I'd like to know what it tastes like off the tap, so I'll have to find my way to South Carolina again one of these days. I am looking forward to trying other beers from Thomas Creek, and hopefully I can find them here in Des Moines Rock City.

For more information on Thomas Creek Brewery, go here.

Up Next: Ohio

No comments:

Post a Comment