Monday, January 17, 2011

Belize Knows Beer!

So, the wife and I just got back from a cruise. On this cruise, we visited Mexico and Honduras, but my highlight was Belize. Why? Because of this:
I never would have guessed, but Belize has an amazing brewery called The Belize Brewing Company, and under that name, they make Belikin Beer (pictured above).

I wanted to find some local brew, and after many days of downing cerveza such as Corona, Sol, Pacifico and El Barlito, I was expecting similar from Belikin.

The man at the bar asked if I wanted Dark, Light or Really Light. I paid 1 American dollar for a Dark and Light.

First, I tried the Dark: It was a stout! It was a damn fine stout. I wont compare it to Guinness, but it was so good, and very drinkable. Before I knew it that bottle was gone.

So, I tried the second one. The Light. It was golden, and I assumed it'd be the traditional cerveza. But no, they shocked me again, and the Light was a Hefeweizen! A perfect wheat beer. I could not believe that I had never heard of this brewery before.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to Ladyville to the brewery, but I could see myself traveling back some day to try it again.

From what I can tell it is hard to find in the US, but if you come across it, drink it. You wont be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment