Tuesday, November 16, 2010

READ/LISTEN/WATCH/RENT

READ: Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby

Nick Hornby is one of my top 5, all time, favorite authors. His latest book, "Juliet, Naked" is one of his best. His book before this, "Slam", was good but seemed almost like a YA novel. Juliet, seems to take the tone of How to be Good and A Long Way Down. The story is told by 3 people, Annie, Duncan and Tucker. Annie and Duncan are a couple living in sea-side England. They are trapped in a small nothing town and only have each other and the music of a reclusive 80's rockstar to comfort them. Tucker, is that rock star, living in rural Pennsylvania with his 5th wife and young son Jackson. Tucker is Bob Dylan meets JR Salinger. The story begins as Annie finds her self in contact with the recluse, unbeknownst to her partner (and number one Tucker Crowe fan) Duncan. This book is great, I can't say to much more without giving the story away. But read it, I am sure you'll like it.

LISTEN: Belle and Sebastian

Belle and Sebastian is (like Hornby was with authors), one of my top 5 favorite bands of all time. In fact, if it wasn't for Nick Hornby I wouldn't know who B&S were. In the film High Fidelity, based on Hornby's great novel, there is a scene where Jack Black walks into the record store and says "What the Fuck is this?" and John Cusack says "It's the new Belle and Sebastian". That's when Black's character Barry pops in his mix tape and you hear "Walking on Sunshine." I loved the name, "Belle and Sebastian". I was 17 and living in the apartment in my parents garage and I logged on to IMESH and downloaded as much as I could find. The first song I listened to is what I know consider my favorite song of all time, "The Boy with the Arab Strap". Ever since, I have been hooked. Also, the fact that they are from Glasgow, Scotland clinched a spot for them in my heart. I love every song. Their newest album, "Write About Love" is perfect, and was on my list for best albums of 2010. Below will be the video for "The Boy with the Arab Strap". Enjoy.


WATCH: The Walking Dead

I do not like horror movies. I also don't really like zombie movies. The only two zombie movies I have really got into were Zombieland and 28 Days Later. If you like the latter, then you will love The Walking Dead, AMC's newest amazing television show. I almost did this on Mad Men, which I have just started watching and really enjoy, but The Walking Dead is more exciting to me. It follows a small town sherriff who wakes up from a gunshot wound to find that a Zombie Apocoplyse has happened. He doesn't know if his family is a live or dead, and has no real answers as to what is going on. It is only 3 episodes in, so start watching it now, you'll dig it. It's based on a popular graphic novel that I had never heard of, but still, it's great. I like how some shows on television now have better acting and directing then most hollywood movies.


RENT: Scott Pilgrim vs the World

This movie is wonderful. I didn't watch it in the theater because when it came out I had just scene Youth In Revolt and really liked it, so I thought that this wouldn't be able to stand up against it. After seeing both, I think I like Scott Pilgrim better. It's a fun movie, with a lot going on, and some really funny actors. I love me some George-Michael Bluth, so I should never have doubted him. And with the man behind Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz behind the camera, it really is a win/win situation. One of my favorite people in this movie was Kieran Culkin, who hadn't done a movie since back in 2002 (the year of The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys and Igby Goes Down) who stole a lot of scenes as Gay Wallace. This came out last Tuesday so go find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment