Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My Favorite Fifty-ish Books of the Decade

Well I made lists for my favorite albums and films of the decades, and so I figured I'd do books too. However, I don't read as much as I'd like, and when I do read I read from all different decades, so this is a list of the books from this decade that I do really like and recommend. Like in my music and movie post, there is a lot of similarity, because I read what I know I'll enjoy.

2000

Sellevision by Augusten Burroughs
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Down Under / In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson
Ignorance by Milan Kundera
best: Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

2001

Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
How To Be Good by Nick Hornby
The Constant Gardner by John Le Carre
John Adams by David McCullough
Mystic River by Dennis Lehane
best: Pint-Sized Ireland by Evan McHugh

2002
Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk
best: Atonement by Ian McEwan

2003

31 Songs by Nick Hornby
Fugitives and Refugees: A Walk in Portland, Oregon by Chuck Palahniuk
Lies & the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair & Balanced Look at the Right by Al Franken
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto by Chuck Klosterman
The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem
best: Dry by Augusten Burroughs

2004
Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroguhs
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris
The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby
The Unthinkable Thoughts of Jacob Green by Joshua Braff
Stranger Than Fiction: True Stories by Chuck Palahniuk
America (The Book): A Citizens Guide to Democracy Inaction by Jon Stewart
Long Way Round by Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor
best: Chronicles Volume One by Bob Dylan

2005

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
Oh the Glory of it All by Sean Wilsey
The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer
Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell
1776 by David McCullough
best: A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut

2006
Housekeeping vs The Dirt by Nick Hornby
The Audacity of Hope by Barrack Obama
The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson
What is the What: The Autobiography of Valentino Achak Deng by Dave Eggers
best: Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs

2007
An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England: A Novel by Brock Clarke
I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert
No One Belongs Here More Than You: Stories by Miranda July
Rant by Chuck Palahniuk
best:
Slam by Nick Hornby

2008

A Wolf at the Table by Augusten Burroughs
When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris
Armageddon in Retrospect by Kurt Vonnegut (posthumous)
The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell
Downtown Owl: A Novel by Chuck Klosterman
The Film Club by David Gilmour
best: Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk

2009

Look at the Birdie by Kurt Vonnegut (posthumous)
Inklings by Jeff Koterba
Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by Jon Krakauer
best: Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby

No comments:

Post a Comment