Thursday, June 25, 2009

Read/Listen/Watch/Rent

READ: Dry by Augusten Burroughs
If you have read Running with Scissors (or saw the film) and enjoyed it then definatly check this out. It's a sequel basically. Taking place during Augusten's early 20's while he was in advertising in New York. But that isn't what it's about, it's about the alcohol that comes along with being in his early 20's and in advertising in New York. One of the best memoirs I have ever read.

LISTEN: The Gaslight Anthem - The 59 Sound

Great album. The rock-a-billy punk style mixed with lead singer Brian Fallon's voice is perfect. Just google these guys and you'll see the Bruce Springsteen comparisons everywhere. And ya, he sounds a little like him and he's from New Jersey, but these guys are definatly earning there stripes. On first listen, what blew me away, was a "borrowed" chours on track 4, High and Lonesome, "And Maria came from Nashville with a suitcase in her hand/I always kinda sorta wished I looked like Elvis", the Counting Crows nod there gave me chills. I swear, I replayed the song 10 times. (Also, for The Boss fans, in the same song there is a throwback to I'm On Fire with the line "and I woke up with the sheets soaking wet/it's a pretty good song, maybe you know the rest"). Below is the videos for two of the songs on the album.






WATCH
: Rescue Me

When I picked Rescue Me as my first "Watch" for this blog, I was under the impression that the whole series was still available on Hulu.com. But, turns out, now they only have the most recent 3 episodes from this season. So I guess this weeks "Watch" is also gonna be a "Rent". If you haven't seen this show, where the fuck have you been? In it's 5th season it is better than ever. Rescue Me is the story of Tommy Gavin (portrayed by the great Denis Leary), a NYC fire fighter living in a post 9-11 world and the other men in his house. It is full of everything: drugs, alcohol, booze, fire, explosions, shootings, death, sex, infidelity, beautiful women, and all the characters are funny as can be. Go check it out as soon as possible. Each season gets better and better. And don't think this is some comedy with a few tearjerker episodes. Every episode is weaved and written to get ya going. I am gonna post one of last summers "webisodes" so you can get an idea of what you are missing out on.


RENT: Imaginary Heroes

This film from 2004, written by Dan Harris and starring Emile Hirsch, Sigourney Weaver, and Jeff Daniels, is about a family going through an event no family prepares for. It is one of those great ensamble cast movies where you love every character on screen. The stand out is Emile Hirsch who is fast becoming one of my favorite actors with a stream of great films like The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys, Lords of Dogtown, Into the Wild and Milk (we can forget about Speed Racer right, I mean, NO BODY saw it. It didn't exist right?). Hirsch plays Tim, the son of Weaver and Daniels, and takes the brunt of the situation. I don't want to give to much away, plus I am going to post the trailer, so I don't feel the need to write much anyways. You wont be let down by this movie though. It would go well with fans of The Squid and the Whale or The United States of Leland (which star Michelle "Jen on Dawson's Creek" Williams is in both Leland and Heroes). Here is the trailer for ya, get busy.





No comments:

Post a Comment