Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Read/Listen/Watch/Rent

READ: Oh The Glory of it All by Sean Wilsey

I had never heard of Sean Wilsey. I had never heard of this book. I was at the Goodwill in Ames, and I saw this book staring at me from the shelf. The cover is crazy, it reminds me of an album cover, so I picked it up. It is about 500 pages, which is about 300 pages longer then the books I like to read. However, I bought it, started it, and love it. Sean is the son of rich San Fransico aristocrats, who are terrible people. His mom is a crazy person, his father is a 70 year old who doesn't care about him, and his step mom is possibly the worst person alive. The kicker is, it's all a true story. He really lived this insaine life, that involves meeting the pope and Reagan (as part of his moms "children as teachers of peace" program), beating off to paintings of his bitch step mom, and being friends with Danielle Steel as an 11 year old in the early 80's. I am only 170 pages in, but it's addictive. For fans of Augusten Burroughs or David Sedaris, definatly check this book out.

LISTEN: Monsters of Folk

Let's pretend you have a favorite band, or a favorite song writer. Now let's pretend you have two or three favorite bands or song writers. Now let's pretend, the members of three of your favorite bands got together to form a band. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you, Monsters of Folk. The name, tounge and cheek as hell, is comprised of Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes/Mystic Valley Band), Mike Mogis (Bright Eyes), M. Ward (M.Ward/She and Him), and Jim James (My Morning Jacket). They released three tracks to itunes, with a new cd coming out on September 22nd, and I am a just a little more than excited. Of the three songs out now, there is "Say Please" which is solid with alternating vocals, "Dear God (Sincerely M.O.F)" which sounds like track 8 on a Songs of the Seventies mix (but in a good way), and "The Sandman, The Brakeman and Me" which is possibly my favorite song released this year. Jim James and M.Ward singing together gives me chills, and that guitar, the steady rhythm and tiny picking, is perfect. I can see myself in 30 years listening to this song.



WATCH: Flight of the Conchords

Bret and Jemaine are New Zealand's 4th most popular folk parody duo. So obviously, it's time for them to take America by storm. The boys move to NYC and hook up with music mogul/New Zealand tourism director Murray (present), and set there sights on becoming rock stars. This is one of the funniest shows I have ever watched. The story is intercut with the bands music, and great side characters like Mel, the groups 1 fan, and Dave, a douche bag. You'll love seeing these guys deal with culture shock, love, parties, monkey killers as they follow the misdirection of Murray. It's hard to explain this show, so here's a sample:



RENT: (500) Days of Summer

You actually can't rent "(500) Days of Summer" yet. It came out last friday in theaters, but considering Stacie and I saw it on Saturday and we were the only ones in the theater, it will be on DVD soon. Which is a shame, it was great. It's the story of the 500 day long relationship between Tom and Summer, told in non-chronological order. Tom, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt (aka Tommy from 3rd Rock From the Sun) is one of my favorite younger male actors. After great rolls in Manic (which also starred Zooey Deschanel who plays Summer), Brick, The Lookout and Stop Loss, it's good to see he's blowing up in this movie and as Cobra Commander in GI Joe. Zooey Deschanel, who I mentioned plays Summer, is always good. I have loved her since I saw her in Manic, and since she's made indie flicks (Eulogy, Winter Passing, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, The Good Girl), big studio films (Almost Famous, Big Trouble, Elf, Yes Man) and television (Weeds, Tin Man) and in everything shes great. It doesn't hurt that she is the "She" in the band "She and Him" (where the "Him", is M.Ward, see this posts LISTEN section). This isn't a love story, nor does it try to be, but it does make you root for both characters. Also, within the first half hour the movie makes reference to my favorite song of all time, "Boy with the Arab Strap" by Belle and Sebastian. Roger Ebert, who is one of the only critics I pay attenion to (if Peter Travers wouldn't be such a dick about Star Wars, maybe him) gave this 5 stars. I have never seen him give a movie 5 stars. So go see it. Now.



No comments:

Post a Comment